Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Tuesday, 6 July 2010

Summer in Staffordshire

I finally managed a proper afternoon of gardening at the weekend - I say gardening it was more like triffid management - and was suprised that any of the veges had survived at all. Digging down into the raised beds didn't yield any even damp soil and my neighbour looked on in sympathy at the sight of the french beans. It seems this weather is better suited to bindweed and docks...
I seem to have successfully cultivated a srcubland too - I'm sure I'd left a lush lawn there a few weeks ago. Apparently it is now making an ideal wicket. Enough of my woes though because it is a thrill to be able to see the countryside lazily buzzing and glowing with that fab early morning smell of camping and holidays. I am harvesting salad crop almost every evening and enjoying local strawberries while they last and found this recipe for lemonade in a local cook book as the perfect summer drink.

Swynnerton Lemonade

juice of 6 lemons
rind of 3 lemons
1 oz tartaric acid
2 1/2 ozs citric acid
1 oz Epsom salts (!!!)
31/2 lbs sugar
3 pints boiling water

Peel lemons finely and add to large bowl with other ingredients pour over the boiling water. Stir until dry ingredients dissolved and cover in tim foil. When cold strain and bottle then use as needed diluted with water and with added ice.

As always - I would love to hear from you and find out your fave local recipes and tips for days out in Staffordshire so please feel free to follow and recommend! For your far away friends they might like somewhere eco and 4 star to stay so check out our Simply Staffordshire site.

No comments: