Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Thursday, 19 August 2010

Cakes!

It feels like I haven't blogged in ages - the summer holidays play havoc with routine and I am feeling mighty out of routine! Today I have had an unusual respite from my job as ents sec and did some baking. Did my usual Rowan House lemon drizzle for tomorrow's guests. They are here for 2 weeks and have a long flight so thought it ought to be a slicing, substantial cake that will last a good few days. I also thought I would answer the very regular cry of family "I suppose that cake is for guests is it?"by baking for the boys. I tried a twist on a classic and baked coffee and pecan cake (mainly due to a lack of wlanuts in the cupboard) - a success! Here's the recipe and I really hope you get to enjoy a slice with a cuppa soon...

Coffee and Pecan Cake


125g butter

175g golden castor sugar

175g self raising flour

2 large eggs

1 tbsp coffee granules dissolved in 2 tbsp hot water & cooled.

50g roughly chopped pecans.


Icing

175g icing sugar

75g butter

1 tsp coffee granules

1 tsp cocoa

possibly a bit of milk

whole pecans to decorate


Beat the sugar and butter together until pale. Add the eggs to the cooled coffee and whick lightly. Add the egg mixture gradually while beating. You may want to add alittle of the flour too to prevent curdling. Finally fold in the flour and split between 2 greased and lined 18-20cm round tins. Bkae in a preheated oven at 190 for 20-25 mins. In the meantime beat the icing sugar and butter together. Mix the cocoa and coffee granules together with enough boiling water to make a paste and beat into the icing. You may need a little milk at the stage to bring the butter icing to the right consistency at this point. Once the cakes are cooked and cooled, use some of the icing for the middle and the rest for the top. Decorate with pecans and enjoy!


I love to hear how you did and what you thought so please sign up to the blog and comment or tweet me!

No comments: