Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Childhood Recipes...


I was just uploading my mums Gooseberry Fool recipe as my Auntie Wynne's was so vintage I couldn't understand it, and it got me thinking about favourite childhood recipes & meals.
There was always lots of produce in the garden and therefore very seasonal options of food. I think the biggest difference for me is the fruit varieties of the summer. We had gooseberries, raspberries, rhubarb, red currents, white currents, black currents and Dad even had grapes in the greenhouse! They are simply not as common now and you certainly don't see them in the supermarkets.
So...I am listing PYO farms and recipes to help us revive the vintage summers of our youth...
1. Manor Farm Fruits in Tamworth have been open since 1973 & have red currents on sale.
2. Gailey Fruit Farm, Penkridge, Staffordshire, ST19 5PP...even have Tayberries!
3. Anslow Fruit Farm, Anslow, Burton upon Trent, DE13 9QL...lots of fruit & veg.
I would love to hear about your recipes, memories & top tips for great summer fruit.




No comments: