Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Friday, 3 February 2012

Guest post by Simply Scrumptious Cupcakes


It's really exciting to present our first guest blog post of 2012. Today we introduce our fabulous Simply Staffordshire member, Liz from Simply Scrumptious. We love to share our member blog posts with you so you can get to know local Staffordshire businesses really well! If you would like to join Simply Staffordshire and benefit from marketing, networking and knowledge sharing support, please get in touch through our website.


It’s a frosty February morning and the first signs of spring are beginning to show. Springtime always symbolises a new start for me and brings a certain optimism with the prospect of longer days and warmer weather.  This time, two years ago, I decided to take a leap of faith and set up my own business. We had moved to the lovely town of Eccleshall just over a year before and my life changed dramatically in that time. I became a mum for the first time and although I was loving spending time raising my son, felt I needed to find something new and exciting to do that could fit around family life.
My new start was to setup Simply Scrumptious Cupcakes. Even as a child, I loved nothing better than making cakes and biscuits and even the 1980’s classic microwave sponge pudding (which I’m glad to say doesn’t make it to our table anymore). My first part-time job was in a bakery and although I took a detour career-wise, working for an advertising agency, a bank and even a tractor manufacturer, baking has always been an important part of my life. After a long chat with other mums due to return to work from maternity leave, I realised was in a very fortunate position as I’d be able to work from home and still spend lots of time with my toddler. The big question became not shall I do it but how soon can I start?  I began by baking cupcakes for a few friends’ birthday parties, catered my own 30th celebrations and then took the big leap at Eccleshall Festival when I had a stall to gauge local reactions to my cakes. I practically sold out!
I now bake delicate cupcake towers for weddings, create themed cupcakes for children’s parties and have diversified into mini and giant cupcakes and a selection of cakepops. It’s a wonderful business to be in as I get to experiment with all sorts of new and exciting flavours and get to meet lots of interesting people, each with a different need. No two orders are the same, which keeps the job creative and exciting.
The trend in handmade and vintage products is becoming more and more popular. I’m increasingly baking  vintage-style cupcakes to be served for afternoon tea at parties and weddings.  It’s certainly a style which evokes nostalgia and seems to be supported by the resurgence for home baking. Shows like The Great British Bake Off received 3.1 million viewers during the last series and I’ve started to receive requests from customers for cupcake decorating classes.   Most people can make a half decent fairy cake, but need a little guidance (and glitter) to turn it into something truly beautiful! Great ingredients, the right tools for the job and few secret tips can create the recipe for success. Lo and behold, the first signs are spring are here again and I’m launching my first class this month. I can’t wait!
If you’re interested in any of our cupcakes or classes, please take a look at the website www.simplyscrumptiouscupcakes.co.uk

No comments: