Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Sunday, 13 October 2013

How to make a Sticky Toffee weekend treat...

As previously mentioned in this Blog, my cooking repertoire is often limited by a lack of time, elevated stress levels & boys...however today I made a NEW recipe! I attempted a Sticky Toffee Pudding to take to a supper with friends and thought I would share my journey and some some sticky top tips along the way!

So...Sticky Toffee Pudding...dates, brown sugar, butter, brown sugar, dates, eggs, flour & brown sugar...best served (in my humble opinions) with thick double cream but could tolerate custard or vanilla ice cream. I am picturing deep brown, moist bricks of cake covered in a lake of shiny, sticky toffee sauce followed by an overly full feeling of heaven.

In my research for a top recipe, I realise that the Sticky Toffee Pud is a hotly contested subject...Nigella had a quickie version - not authentic enough? Mary seemed to offer a classic although I didn't have coffee essence (?!?). Gordon's was too tricky and the Hairy boys seemed to have a random amount of dates in theirs so I did my own!

Here it is....

100g softened butter
200g pitted dates, chopped
150g dark brown sugar
175g self raising flour
1tsp baking powder
175ml hot water
2 large eggs
Preheat the oven to 170C or Gas Mark 5 and prep a square tin (about 18-20cm accross) by buttering and lining the base.
Beat the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder, eggs until smooth. Stir in the chopped dates and then add the hot water. This will seem odd and create a batter like thick cream...but it does work!!
Pour the patter into the tin and wiggle the dates about a bit to evenly distribute them. Bake for 45 mins until risen and bouncy on top.
Sauce...
125g butter
175g dark muscovado sugar
6-7 tbsp double cream
Slowly melt the butter and sugar until fully melted and the sugar has dissolved. Take the pan off the heat and pour in the cream stirring quickly...you will have the perfect shiny sauce to pour over squares of pud. Serve warm with cream, custard or vanilla ice cream....

No comments: