Go to Simply Staffordshire Website

Monday, 5 January 2009

Happy New Year!

Here we are in 2009 and Christmas finished! As ever determined not to get washed away by the tide of bad news on the telly amd focusing on the fact that it is the most beautiful day today. The sun is shining and the tops of the Weaver Hills are glowing after being dusted with snow. The boys are back at school and I thought this was my opportunity to plan my veg growing for the year and order my seeds. A straw poll at the tea table last night seems to have conlcuded that we will try just french beans and not runners this year. Despite the clay soil we are going to try carrots too as number one son complained about the lack of them with the chicken last night! I also thought that we could do with some more green stuff, so am going to try cabbage, spinach (much to husbands disgust) and sprouts. Obviously this will mean moving into the patch around July to bar any cabbage whites from getting fat on our hard work. Potatoes will be grown in a sack on the patio - so will let you know how that goes!?! Number 2 son would like an apple tree and I am wondering if I can copy mum and get some little step overs.
Our "Growing your own food" course starts this spring (dates on website) so if you would like to join mum and I and have your own potatoes in a bag then get in touch!

No comments: